On January 20, 2022, the European Commission (EC) launched a public consultation seeking comment on a proposed revision of the REACH regulation (No. 1907/2006). The consultation is the most extensive to date; it covers many elements of the legislation and, once changes are implemented, will have a significant impact on industry for the future. The consultation topics include:
- Revision of the registration requirements, including increased information requirements and establishing the obligation to register certain polymers;
- Introduction of mixture assessment factors (MAF);
- Simplification of communication in the supply chain;
- Revision of the provisions for dossier and substance evaluation;
- Reform of the authorisation and restriction processes, including the extension of generic approaches to risk management and the introduction of the essential use concept; and
- Revision of the provisions for control and enforcement.